For In Vitro Diagnostic Use
The Abbott RealTime CMV assay is an in vitro polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay for the quantitation of cytomegalovirus (CMV) DNA in human EDTA plasma.View Ordering Information
CMV is a common virus that remains dormant in healthy individuals. In immunocompromised patients, CMV can lead to serious complications. Precise and timely quantitation of CMV in critically ill patients is important to:
RealTime CMV is designed to deliver highly precise and timely results to help inform better patient management.
Indications and Limitations of Use
The Abbott RealTime CMV test is an in vitro polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay for the quantitation of cytomegalovirus (CMV) DNA in human (EDTA) plasma. The Abbott RealTime CMV test is intended for use as an aid in the management of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant patients who are undergoing anti-cytomegalovirus therapy. In this population, serial DNA measurement can be used to assess virological response to anti-cytomegalovirus therapy. The results from the RealTime CMV test must be interpreted within the context of all relevant clinical and laboratory findings. The RealTime CMV test is not intended as a screening test for the presence of CMV DNA in blood or blood products.
Limitations of the procedure:
FOR IN VITRO DIAGNOSTIC USE ONLY
- Test performance characteristics have been evaluated only for individuals who have undergone Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant. No information is available on test performance in patients undergoing other types of transplant procedures, neonates or pediatric patients, AIDS or other immunocompromised patients; nor is information available on test performance in patients who have been diagnosed with end organ CMV disease.
- The detection of viral DNA is dependent upon proper specimen collection, handling, transportation, storage, preparation (including extraction). Failure to observe proper procedures in any of these steps can lead to incorrect results. There is a risk of false negative results resulting from improperly collected, transported, or handled specimens.
- Though rare, mutations within the highly-conserved regions of the viral genome covered by the primers and/or probes in the Abbott RealTime CMV assay may results in the under-quantitation of virus or failure to detect the presence of virus. The Abbott RealTime CMV assay mitigates this risk by amplifying two select targets of conserved regions of the CMV genomes.
- Human plasma (EDTA) may be used with the Abbott RealTime CMV assay. The use of other anticoagulants has not been validated for use with the Abbott RealTime CMV assay.
- A specimen with a result of “Not Detected” cannot be presumed to be negative for CMV DNA.
- Drug interference was evaluated using drug pools, and effects of individual drugs were not assessed, with the exception of the 13 therapeutic drugs that were tested individually.
- Results from the Abbott RealTime CMV assay should be interpreted in conjunction with other clinical and laboratory findings.
Caution: Rx only
The Abbott RealTime CMV assay uses PCR technology combined with homogeneous real time fluorescent detection for the quantitation of CMV DNA. The selection of two conserved regions of CMV genome provides for the robust and accurate detection of CMV.
Single Stranded Probe Design
|Abbott RealTime Cmv|
Amplification & Detection: m2000rt
|Technology||Quantitative real-time PCR|
|Probe Design||Single-stranded linear probe|
|Target Region||UL34 and UL80.5 genes|
|Limit of Detection (LOD)||31.2 IU.mL|
|Lower Limit of Quantitation (LLOQ)||50 IU/mL|
|Quantitation Range||From LOQ up to 8.19 log IU.mL|
|Precision||SD < 0.15 IU/mL|
|Reported Results||IU/mL, log IU/mL|
|Standardization||1st WHO International Standard for Human Cytomegalovirus for Nucleic Acid Amplification Techniques (NIBSC 09/162)|
|Sample Input Volume||0.5 mL|
|Internal Control||Noncompetitive processed with each sample|
Links which take you out of Abbott worldwide websites are not under the control of Abbott, and Abbott is not responsible for the contents of any such site or any further links from such site. Abbott is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement of the linked site by Abbott. The website that you have requested also may not be optimised for your screen size.
Please be aware that the website you have requested is intended for the residents of a particular country or countries, as noted on that site. As a result, the site may contain information on pharmaceuticals, medical devices and other products or uses of those products that are not approved in other countries or regions.